Monday, October 26, 2009

journal #8

Have you noticed how something as trivial as a text window personally offends us? It's just an automated box with words, tailored to interests we have volunteered.

I should clean up house, as in renovate my profile. I have people friended that I don't even know. I think just under fifty people is the ideal number, then again that's just me.
All this maintenance is pretty comical, as somebody from another century might say it's trivial. It's not like it's needed or required, yet so many people feel they must update the profiles because they are an extension of the person. I find that my profile is behind my actual identity by several months at least. Even the way I approach the profile is different now. I gave up on writing about my favorite music, it's just "anything and everything" now.

It's as if our virtual lives are becoming more important than our actual ones. An intriguing concept, but maybe because it's so much easier than actually pursuing people in real life, the easy way out is often chosen.

The more I attend this class, the more of facebook I stop using. Maybe it'll disappear from my life altogether.

No comments: