Sunday, October 11, 2009

Journal #6

This week, as I began playing with my fake Facebook identity, I found it interesting how in some ways, I was less inhibited with my fade identity than I was with my real one. With my fake identity, I felt very cautious about adding people as friends because I didn't want to arouse suspicion. On the other hand, once my friend invites were accepted with my fake identity, I socialized with them much more easily. Because they didn't know who I really was, it wasn't so scary to talk to them. I got to test out another personality, in a way, and it was like being anonymous. It was kind of fun to try to play the part of a much more casual, chatty person.

Another thing I did with my fake Facebook identity was to start using FarmVille for the first time. Unfortunately, I forgot about it so often that I'd often come back to find my crops withered, and that discouraged me--it wasn't fun at all! Now I feel validated in not using FarmVille on my real account.

Finally, a third thing I noticed with my fake account was Facebook's captcha images, which I haven't seen in a long time. (They show up because I refuse to verify my account by providing a cell phone number.) Every single time I add a friend on this account, I have to pass the security check and prove I'm a real person by typing out the warbled words that are presented. I've found that this is quite an addictive behavior, to continually add the friend suggestions and type out the captcha letters. Who knows what crazy word combination will come up next!?

No comments: