Sunday, October 4, 2009

Journal #5

One problem I've been having with Facebook lately is that it is simply too addictive. You wouldn't believe how many times I compulsively checked my homepage in the middle of writing my answer to the prompt. Checking Facebook interferes with my other homework, too, as well as with any other tasks I might be trying to accomplish. It hasn't even been a particularly interesting week on Facebook, with the vast majority of people's updates (that came to my attention) being merely quiz results or references to things I didn't know about. There's been no real purpose to refreshing the page, but for some reason, I haven't been able to stop. But this is nothing new.

I have been thinking about going through a "friend purge," as it would clear my homepage from all of those irrelevant quiz results and status updates. I think about a few people I know on Facebook, most of whom I met elsewhere online, who have only 40-some friends. In some odd way, I aspire to be like them... but I don't know if I could handle it, especially when I think of our class discussion about the importance of those guac and dairy friends. What if I get lonely with fewer than 100 friends? (Never mind the fact that I rarely have conversations on Facebook, anyway.) What if I lose connections that could help me in networking later on? What if I end up forgetting people I don't want to or shouldn't forget? *sigh* Sometime, I'll have to figure this out.

No comments: