Monday, October 19, 2009

journal #7

(brendan m)

It's very hard to masquerade as another person without covering all your tracks. Since I used an email address of one of my friends, I can't friend him or else people might make a connection. It's too much of a risk. I also find that my own personality conflicts with taking advantage of those I know, but at the same time I'm not going to reveal the truth to them. I'll just have to friend random people again.

Managing a separate identity is an impossibility as well, because no matter how you try the actions of the other person will be influenced by your own biases and experiences. I also can't be someone who practices things I know nothing about, so in a way we are the same person no matter how hard I try. It's rather frustrating, but really ties into the online psychologist gender swap story. Pretty sobering stuff.

I'll admit that it was fun living a masquerade, though.

No comments: