Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Journal #5 Sept. 30

I know it is quite early to be writing my journal for the week, but I would rather write this than my Faith and Self in a Global Context paper.

So ever since last class I have been really looking at the ads that pop up on my facebook; and true to what they are supposed to do I was drawn in by things that I enjoy, like ads for HP and Dell, some Best Buy stuff, and Gamestop, music and such. Then I refreshed my page to see what else it would come up with and sure enough there they were: all three ads on the page were for over 40 dating sites. The first was an ad for Big and Beautif Singles! With a picture an over 50 couple embracing on a cliff somewhere. The next was just an ad that said DATE SENIOR MEN! OMG what did I do to get these ads! The last one was for Want Local Romance? With a picture of a middle aged man with a streak of gray runnign through his hair. GRRRRRRR if anyone is doubting me on this I called Sara into the room and she saw them, I also snapped a photo of the screen, it's an epidemic. I started deleting them like crazy, yet they still show up.

I have no idea what cookies I've been eating to get these ads on my profile. Before I knew that the ads were tailored directly for me I didn't mind them, I just thought there must be a lot of lonely single people over 40 on facebook. But now that I know it really bothers me that facebook thinks that I want that.

Okay rant complete, I'm sorry you all had to go through this with me.

No comments: