Monday, September 14, 2009

Journal Prompt #2

I would probably have to assume that one of the better parts of FB must be that its newer "web 2.0" design actually does give a more relaxed, nonchalant feeling towards using the site. While it does annoy petty geeks like myself who fret at the absence of any individual customization (even a mere color theme would do loads better so my glazed-over eyes could stare at something other then a white background at three in the morning), the "friending-wars" of Myspace seem like a minuscule, superfluous fragment of the past. FB users don't seem to be judged by the quantitative amount of friends they have added. Even when first starting out, Facebook literally recommends friendships to you, based on your school network and the three or four friends you have already added. To me, the "friending" process is practically subconscious. I hadn't even realized I had 180 friends on Facebook. Still, most of them were just people I vaguely knew through my old high school network. So while the networking of the FB networks does place you closer to your own relative circle of friends, the mass of peers whom I barely had a minor conversation with in high school still reign majority of all FB friends. Still, its not like I need to read their status update every time they get wasted.
Straying away from the major networks of high schools and universities, actual group memberships have changed in one way or another. While I remember the aim of most online groups back from my days at Myspace was to be the default group with the largest user-base. Reminiscing on those days, I realize there was only one real advantage to that: a mini-forum where people talk semi-anonymously over a common interest on a website designed for local, real-life friend interaction. On Facebook, I haven't seen much of that. While the Myspace group forums used to have many many posts each day (in there larger groups), most FB groups only have a single topic thread running on the group pages. But one of the greater advantages of Facebook groups has to be they have a larger number of local groups which post their weekly events through a site we visit daily.

No comments: