Monday, November 2, 2009

journal #9

We were discussing security lately, and I often wonder what constitutes security online. Nothing is really secure, (Citibank losing millions of SSNs is a good example) and in the end it's almost more important who is seeing your info rather than if they can. Managing the amount of people that have access to your info, I have found, is best. I also avoid free offers and sign-ups like the plague. After going through with one, I'll get spam calls months later.

I don't mind if some people see my facebook info and they aren't people I know. Financial information is different, and is much easier to protect if you are smart about it. I think the whole argument about "facebook making everything private and you choose what is public" is a good thing. It's like turning on the heating in the fall. It may be nice out for a few days and the heat isn't needed, but when it gets chilly you'll be glad it was running.

I also believe that too much security could be detrimental. Remembering passwords for all the college sites and the pages deactivating is annoying. I understand the security needed, but I think it's too much. At least give me an extra ten minutes before signing me out.

No comments: