Saturday, October 11, 2008

Journal 10/13 by Justin

So I signed on to Facebook today to work on our "fake account" projects. I first went on my personal fake persona, Andrew Carnegy, and to my surprise, many people I asked to "friend" me did so. In my opinion, this is quite comical. For one, they have no idea who I actually am. Also, I think due to my "profile picture" they are oblivious to who this person could possibly be. I believe I made close to 60 "friends" in less than two days of this project, so I think I'm off to a pretty good start.
As for the fake group account we (Lihy, Jay, and myself) created in class, it is also going well. It is awkward reading the messages that ask who I/we/she is. Since we created a female from LA who currently is in the Urbana/Champaign network, I think that more people are screening the account. Several users refused to friend this fake person and instead asked me via a message, “Hey, do I know you?” or “Hey sorry, but did we take a class together or something?” It actually makes me feel a little better about Facebook users, because some people have proven that not all college students are naive.
Has anyone else experienced similar messages? Has anybody had really random things sent to them that are funny? If so, I would love to hear them.

No comments: