Sunday, November 30, 2008

Journal 11/29 Leehee

My views on Facebook are constantly changing. It is my belief that such technologies don't HAVE to consume our lives. We just need to place restrictions on our usage. By blocking my wall and photos (I believe they're blocked), people have to personally message me if they are interested in communicating. I think that the idea of the wall combined with the news feed is rather ridiculous. Why does everyone on my friends list and yours need to know that I said "happy thanksgiving" to you? The messages that people have been sending are much more personal and longer than wall comments have ever been. I believe that it's only natural for people to personalize e-mails versus public comments. The illusion of privacy helps.

This week, my brother had my cell phone for various reasons. I was, to an extent, completely cut off from people. First of all, it did me some good. Second, facebook chat really helped me communicate (sporadically) with individuals that I felt like speaking to. My facebook status helped me find a ride home (kinda). I was able to get the message out.

Basically, I'm finding many benefits to facebook...amidst the obvious flaws.

No comments: