Monday, November 3, 2008

i have no idea when the last time i posted was

I really wanted to address the idea of purging your friends list, or deleting people when you don't want to talk to them anymore. I know it means something else, but that's what the digital divide is to me. Modern society's reliance on technology has become inherent to the way we operate our every day lives, so much so that this era in history is "The Information Age". Computers have been around since the 40s. E-mail, the Internet, and PCs have been around since the 70s. The World Wide Web wasn't invented by AOL, people were already using it the year I was born. Now we have webcams, digital television, GPS cell-phones, satellite radio, all these various ways of connecting with each other that it's almost as if we're incapable of connecting on an interpersonal level anymore.

The point of all this is, there are a lot of people that actually get offended when you delete them on facebook. To my generation, this is the way we stay in touch with each other. This is the way we share information, because it's the easiest, most convenient, requires the least work. All I have to do to create a cultural revolution is make a facebook group. All I have to do to have a party is make a facebook event. I could create an entire fake identity without even changing my name, and people would completely believe it. I just don't know if this is the best way. I've had friends that I deleted on facebook that stopped calling me, stopped talking to me because they think that I'm mad at them. We joke that "you're not real friends until you're friends on facebook" or you're not really dating someone unless you're "facebook official", but these things reflect something about the way our society, our generation views social networking. They didn't come out of nowhere...

No comments: