Sunday, September 28, 2008

My friends

On facebook I have ninety-two friends. That is not a lot because looking through my friends most have more than me. Some have well over two hundred while others have much more. Sometimes I feel bad for not having that many friends but then I think about how the word friend has lost its meaning. I would imagine that a friend would be someone that you get along with and talk to on a regular basis. But this is certainly not the case on facebook. Many people just add people that they remotely know and have talked to once or twice. So the number of friends that a person has really does not say much about how many real friends he really has.
As for the networks, my friends primarily associate themselves with their schools, whether it’s their high school or college. Some have added other networks like Chicago but the majority just put their school. I just have U of I and my high school, Northside College Prep. I never really thought too much about the networks or groups that I am in, cause to me they don’t have too much meaning on facebook. Often times, it seems like people just invite everyone on their buddy list to join groups. Facebook has certainly connected many people but the online connection is not very strong. Because it is so easy to accept invitations and not do anything, being part of a group does not connect people in the way that it used to.

No comments: