Sunday, August 30, 2009

Journal 1, August 31

Hello friends.

I logged onto facebook today mostly to find and friend a lot of the new freshmen I've been meeting. I have a leadership position in an RSO on campus and as part of our outreach to new members we especially focus on welcoming freshmen and practicing hospitality. This year someone made the observation that (especially with younger people) friending on facebook can be a form of "technological hospitality." I think there's some validity to this and it shows how important facebook has become to our culture, especially to high school and college students. It's an interesting conversation.

I also had one of my close friends break up with his girlfriend so he had to change the status of his relationship on facebook. So of course a few people commented on it. That's so stupid, I really don't like that...but at the same time why has the fb status of a relationship become such a big deal to us? Wtf.

Greg

No comments: