Sunday, August 30, 2009

Journal #1, August 31

Facebook is a very useful tool-
But it can certainly get out of hand.
With all the quizzes, imaginary possessions and games we forget that it's a site for keeping in touch with people,
not for wasting time with frivolities.
I've got my video games for that.

When I can get in touch with most of my friends by phone or car or whatnot, I don't even use Facebook...it's great for friends out of range though, like Williamsburg, Virginia, for example.

I feel like making friends on facebook is sort of a chore, too. I have to keep my quotes witty and my jokes fresh. It gets really embarrassing when you don't stay in touch with people and then you have to remain friends with them when in real life you just never see them again. In short: I don't have the stomach to "de-friend" them. When I'm not resisting facebook purgings, I'm usually waiting for people I want to talk to who only log on at three in the morning.

It's great for finding people with common interests, especially when those people are on campus.
It's a great tool, if used responsibly.
For example, I'm facebook chatting with my roommate right now. He's across the room.
That's an example of irresponsible use.


They should have a warning label...
Use Facebook responsibly.

Better couple a warning label with Youtube text comments while we're at it.

No comments: